Saturday, October 13, 2007

My Amazing Class

I am teaching a class of 5th and 6th graders art twice a week at a local elementary school. Some of these kids are just amazing. I gave them the assignment to use simple shapes to create recognizable animal silhouettes and they did fairly well. Then I gave them the assignment to make Halloween decorations for the school party and most of the class promptly forgot everything we had talked about with shapes and went back to trying to noodle out details and shading on a really poorly drawn skeleton or jack-o-lantern, but one girl surprised me. She did a simple paper cutout of a mummy in a coffin that was so fantastic because of it's shape that I had to draw it in my sketchbook. Here is roughly what it looked like. I think it's pretty sweet (especially since it was designed by an 11 year old).

No comments: