Friday, January 11, 2008

Grandpa & The Bear


This was a personal project that I used for my final last semester. My grandfather always tell us grandchildren about the time he was chased up a tree by a bear while he was working in Idaho for the Bureau of Land Management. It's a great story, but I knew that as a cartoon it might be a little scary unless I embellished some bits (like the part at the end when the bear was shot or the fact that the bear was indeed trying to eat Grandpa). So I altered the story to be more little kid friendly and storyboarded it out. I really wanted to make this feel like the era that it took place in so I opted for a very retro 1950's style. These images are character shots of Grandpa and the Bear.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm this reminds me of that old disney cartoon with the forest ranger making the bears pick up the trash...kinda retro like that. I really like the bears pointy bum. made me laugh

Anonymous said...

Great characters. The shapes are really nice. If you pump up the value contrast a little they might be more clear. I really love their expressions.